top of page

International Certificate of Competency Course

Planning yacht chartering vacation in Europe?

In the past, for chartering vessels in Europe for your vacation afloat, presentation of an International Certificate of competency (ICC) was, in many cases, sufficient proof of your ability to safely operate a vessel up to a declared size.

Recently IYT have been advised that a number of European charter companies and insurance companies will not accept an ICC as sufficient proof to take command of a yacht for a one week bareboat charter (Power or Sail). The companies are insisting that the charterer should hold an IYT International Flotilla Skipper or IYT International Bareboat Skipper, power or sail (or equivalent qualification that is on their "approved" list).

The Charter companies and insurance companies do not have a comfort level handing over an expensive yacht to someone who they feel is not sufficiently qualified to command it for a weeks duration.

Some customers have had their charters cancelled because they have only held an ICC.

It is imperative that you check with your charter company in advance of your charter to make sure that you hold the required qualifications for the type of charter that you are embarking on.

The ICC is required for operators of most vessels on both inland and coastal waters in a large part of the European Union.  Candidates who successfully complete the modules required to obtain the International Bareboat Skipper may be automatically awarded the ICC. 

The ICC is a certificate confirming that an individual is competent to the level required to meet the United Nations Economic Commission for Europe Inland Water Committee (UNECE IWC) Resolution 40.

The ICC issued by IYT has been approved by the British  Maritime & Coastguard Agency (MCA) and by Transport Canada so that holders of the ICC (Canadian Edition) will not require a Pleasure Craft Operator Card (PCOC) to operate a pleasure boat in Canada, provided the section on “Canadian Boating Requirements” has been completed.  Holders of a current IYT ICC can “upgrade” to the Canadian Edition by completing a short course and examination.

ICC Preparation Course Available On Line

IYT provide an E-learning course for students through their secure portal to study and execute theory examinations before proceeding to an authorised IYT Training Provider to undertake the written and practical examinations. To access these courses, register and receive your IYT account ID# and log in. ICC E-learning courses are available under the IYT TRAINING menu once logged in. Should you require assistance or an account being registered under our own school we will be happy to organise this on your behalf providing you with your student ID and initial log in. Once logged in you can then change your access passwords etc to undertake your E-Learning at your leisure.

To charter a vessel it is now mandatory for the skipper to hold an ICC in certain European countries. It is also generally required for the inland and coastal waters of mediterranean. In Northern Europe and Scandinavia the ICC is generally not required although it is advisable to check  with the destination country before you leave on your vacation.

The ICC is a product of the United Nations Economic Commission for Europe and provides documentary assurance from one government to another that the holder of the ICC meets the levels of competence laid down in Resolution 40. This currently equates to 23 countries. Including Lativa who have given written permission for IYT to issue ICCs to their own nationals and residents. Also IYT has been authorised to issue ICC's to UK Nationals for over a decade which are issued on behalf of the British Maritime and Coastguard Agency (MCA) Reference UNECE Resolution 40 Document.

ICC Endorsements & Vessel Sizes

The Endorsements may be:

  • (Power -24m) for any power driven vessel up to 24 metres.

  • (Power -10m) for any power driven vessel up to 10 metres.

  • (Sail – 24m & Power 10m ) Sail vessel up to 24 metres. (Must include Power 10m for operating tender to and from shore).*

  • (PWC) for personal water craft.

  • (Coastal waters) for coastal passages only.

  • (Coastal and inland) for use in the inland waterways of Europe as well as coastal. A CEVNI exam must be successfully completed. See below for more details.

*We with SY Miss Elle are able to provide Endorsements for item2 & 3

What Vessel Sizes are Covered?

For those candidates taking a direct assessment in a power vessel, the length of the boat will determine the level of endorsement. This will be either up to 10 metres in length or up to 24 metres in length. Note that with us it is currently up to 10 metres LOA.


How to Obtain an ICC & Skills and Knowledge Required

We, as an  IYT Partner Schools are approved to offer the ICC certification to their students in accordance with our course allocations which in this case is for the Sail (24m) and Power (10m). However, you should verify this with the school where you choose to train or on the IYT website. The schools who are approved to offer this certification are determined by IYT. Please remember that you must meet the requirements outlined above regarding Resolution 40.

What Skills & Knowledge are Required to Obtain an ICC?

To receive an ICC, candidates are required to prove competency in handling a boat with sufficient knowledge of navigation procedures, pilotage, safety procedures and the International Regulations for the prevention of collisions at sea. The examination can be taken on either a powerboat or sailboat depending on the endorsement required and usually takes about four to six hours. Note: A sailing vessel with an engine requires both power and sail endorsements. Some IYT Worldwide certificates allow an applicant to obtain an ICC without the need for an additional ICC assessment. See list below.There are two ways to obtain an ICC. By holding an acceptable IYT Worldwide qualification as mentioned above, OR, by attending a course at an approved IYT partner school who is approved to issue ICCs to their students.

If you hold an acceptable qualifying IYT Worldwide certificate please follow these instructions to obtain an ICC: (Note – See Resolution 40 requirements above to determine if you are eligible to receive an IYT ICC or if you must obtain from your own national issuing authority and not from IYT).

If you have not registered on the IYT site and have a user I.D.# please do so.

  • Do this by going to “login” on the top menu bar, then register and follow the prompts.

  • Make sure to upload a current photo government issued I.D. such as a passport or driver license. We must have this to process your certificate.

  • Make sure to upload a good quality headshot photograph as this photo will be used on your certificate.

  • Make sure to enter the shipping address with phone number as this will be used when we mail or courier the certificate.

Send email to with the following:

  • A scan of the certificate you hold entitling you to receive the ICC certificate.

  • List the following:

    • State that you wish to obtain an ICC.

    • State where (which school) you took the course for your qualifying certificate.

    • State your IYT I.D. number (received at end of registration process).

    • Advise courier (fee depends on location) or airmail (free of charge). Note that we cannot trace airmail if lost.

  • An order/invoice will be created in our system and emailed to email address on profile for payment.

  • Once payment is made the order will be reviewed, processed and shipped.

If you attend a course with an IYT partner school approved to issue ICCs please follow these instructions to obtain an ICC:

  • If you have not registered on our site and have a user I.D.# please do so.

  • Do this by going to “login” on the top menu bar, then register and follow the prompts.

  • Make sure to upload a current photo government issued I.D. such as a passport or driver license. We must have this to process your certificate.

  • Make sure to upload a good quality headshot photograph as this photo will be used on your certificate.

  • After successful completion of the course the school will order your certificate for you. By doing so the school is attesting to your competence.

  • If you wish to add the inland waters endorsement (such as French canals) to your certificate you will complete the CEVNI examination and the school will choose the certificate type “coastal and inland waters”.

  • If you wish to have the ICC endorsed for navigating inland waters you must take the CEVNI exam.

  • To do this you must go to an IYT school approved to offer the ICC and undertake the exam.

  • The school must place the order for certification thus verifying successful completion.

Which IYT Worldwide Certificates of Competency are Recognised for Obtaining an ICC Without the Need for An Examination?

IYT Course                                                                              ICC Certification/Endorsement

IYT Small Powerboat & RIB Master                                    Power -10

IYT International Flotilla Skipper Sail*                               Sail -24m, -80gt & Power -10m

IYT International Flotilla Skipper Power*                          Power -24, -80gt

IYT International Bareboat Skipper Sail                            Sail -24m, -80gt & Power -10m

IYT International Bareboat Skipper Power                       Power -24m, -80gt

IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Sail                                               Sail -24m, -80gt & Power -10m

IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Power                                          Power -24m, -80gt

IYT Yachtmaster Offshore Sail                                            Sail -24m, 80gt & Power -10m

IYT Yachtmaster Ocean                                                       Dependent on seatime experience

IYT Master of Yachts Coastal/ Mate 200 Tons Sail          Sail -24m, -80gt & Power -10m

IYT Master of Yachts Coastal/ Mate 200 Tons Power     Power -24m, -80gt

IYT Master of Yachts Limited Sail                                      Sail -24m, -80gt & Power -10m

IYT Master of Yachts Limited Power                                 Power -24m, -80gt

IYT Master of Yachts Unlimited                                         Dependent on seatime experience

* An ICC can be awarded based on a Flotilla Skipper certificate; however, it is recommended to use an ICC with a Bareboat Skipper certificate.

Please note that training and examinations for the qualifications listed above must have been undertaken at an ICC approved facility and you must meet eligibility requirements outlined above regarding Resolution 40.

Who May Obtain An ICC, Period of Validity & Cancellation

Who May Obtain an ICC?

IYT Worldwide has had approval from the M.C.A. (Maritime and Coastguard Agency of Great Britain) for many years to issue ICCs to United Kingdom passport holders and persons of other nationalities provided they are eligible under Resolution 40. See above.The school must be approved by IYT Worldwide to instruct the ICC course.The applicant must:

  • Be 16 years of age or older.

  • Be physically and mentally fit to operate a pleasure craft, and in particular, must have sufficient powers of vision and hearing.

  • Have successfully passed a written and practical examination or prove the necessary competence for pleasure craft operation by holding an acceptable IYT Worldwide certificate.

Is there a period of validity for an ICC?

The ICC is valid for a period of five years. See instructions for revalidation

Cancellation or Withdrawal of an ICC

IYT Worldwide may suspend or withdraw an ICC where the holder has by some action demonstrated that he or she has not complied with the conduct demanded of a holder of an ICC. The matter will be presented before the IYT Worldwide Training Board for adjudication.

Note: The majority of this page is a direct extract from the IYT World Website and can directly viewed by going to the IYT Worldwide website at this link.

bottom of page